- Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- $102,855.00 -169,240.00/year*
We are seeking a computational biologist with expertise in the development of computational methods for analysis of large-scale genomic data to join Vertex's research site in Boston, MA. This position is part of a growing global Computational Genomics team focused on developing novel, innovative gene editing and genetic therapy treatments of serious human diseases. A key task will be to develop robust computational tools and workflows, such as methods for guide design, on-target editing, and off-target editing. Experience in analyzing genomics data and developing bioinformatics tools is essential, as are strong software engineering skills. Passion for playing a critical role in the development of transformative therapies is essential.
* Develop specifications and design state-of-the-art, generalizable, and robust genomics software tools to enable the lifecycle of genetic therapy development
* Innovate new algorithms and analysis methods to answer biological questions as needs arise in novel therapeutic areas and approaches
* Write and document code that fulfills design specifications and produces fast and accurate results
* Develop, champion, and evolve standards and best practices of software engineering, such as version control, modular software design, testing, and development methodologies
* Advise and support team members in designing studies, developing analyses, and applying methods to answer scientific questions
* Follow cutting-edge advancements in the fast-paced fields of gene editing and genetic therapies, bringing them in-house or building upon them as appropriate
* PhD degree in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related field; B.S. or M.S. with strong background and relevant experience may also be considered
* A proven track record in the analysis, visualization, and interpretation of genomic and next-generation sequencing (NGS) data
* Strong programming skills with experience developing robust and reproducible methods and tools; expertise in Linux/Unix environments, Python, and R; familiarity with programs for analysis of sequencing data
* Experience with key software development and data analysis technologies, such as high-performance and cloud computing, containers for application deployment (e.g. Docker), and tools for interactive data exploration and documentation (e.g. R Shiny, Jupyter)
* Detail-oriented and self-motivated approach to problem solving with excellent reasoning skills
* A positive attitude that enthusiastically tackles and overcomes challenges, with excellent organizational and time-management skills to prioritize needs and get things done
* A team-oriented growth mindset that welcomes feedback from others and supports other team members
* Solid scientific understanding of gene editing, the role of genetic variation in human disease, molecular biology, and cellular biology
Associated topics: bio, biology, enzyme, fermentation, medical, metabolic, neuro, nutrition, pain, parenteral
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...