When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
This role is based at our Rochester, NY facility (Panorama Drive).
**How will you make an impact?**
The Automation Project Engineer is part of the Laboratory Products Division (LPD) which unites deep scientific expertise, a collaborative culture and rich resources to deliver the lab equipment and consumables that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals - quickly, reliably and safely. Our smart lab solutions make it faster and easier for our customers to focus on what matters most - delivering answers and innovations that save and improve lives. This individual is responsible for activities related to the design, development and procurement of automated equipment for internal use. This position requires the application of engineering principles to design products such as equipment, instruments, controls, robots, machines, etc. A key role will be to manage each project from design through implementation. This position requires knowledge in process development, machine design and supplier management.
**What will you do?**
- Cross Functional Team Member: Participates on Cross-Functional Product Development Teams to ensure DFMA principles are
- Develops Process Flow, PFMEA and Process Control Plans.
- Communicates effectively within team and engineering management
on manufacturing process.
- Develops equipment specifications and interacts with various suppliers in obtaining quotations and awarding purchase orders
(working through TMO Sourcing).
- Develops project plans and capital appropriations requests.
- Prepares schedules and budgets and tracks progress throughout the project cycle.
- Project Lead for approving automation designs and coordinating manufacturing of newly designed automation equipment.
- Acts as the primary supplier contact and interface to internal and external customers.
- Develops and executes FAT, IQ, OQ and PQ validation plans.
- Prepares final machine documentation, work instructions, procedures and operator manuals.
- Trains internal personnel as needed.
**How will you get here?**
- Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
- 5 years related experience in the development of Discreet Manufacturing Processes and/or Automation Equipment.
- Experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries is preferred.
**Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:**
- Demonstrated experience as the Manufacturing Engineer on a Cross-Functional Product Development Team, or responsible for the Development of Equipment used in the Manufacturing Process.
- Knowledge of Mechanical or Controls Engineering on automation equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work directly with external suppliers to solve problems related to both controls and mechanical issues.
- Hands-on experience with Manufacturing Process Development and use of problem-solving methods.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (up to 25% of the time).
- Sound business acumen and demonstrated ability to protect company interests when dealing with outside suppliers.
- Excellent business and technical writing skills, verbal communications skills, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Must be capable of understanding issues and giving direction to suppliers on both Mechanical and Controls Engineering as it
relates to automation systems. This does not necessarily require complete expertise in both areas, but does require sufficient
understanding of both disciplines to make sound decisions and drive appropriate actions.
- Proficient and up-to-date with current Mechanical or Controls design software tools and Microsoft Project, Word and Excel.
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of structured problem solving techniques.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here at for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Associated topics: aerodynamic, autocad, boiler, cae, catia, bsme, mechanical, motor, vehicle, vibration
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.