At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Stantec's Tunnel and Trenchless team has an immediate opportunity for a highly-motivated Senior Tunnel and Trenchless Engineer to be based out of our Raleigh, NC office.
Your Key Responsibilities
* Working on multiple projects, pursuits, and tasks simultaneously involving both internal and external coordination, as part of an integrated team.
* Providing tunnel related project technical leadership as part of a collaborative team, including task management assignments as needed.
* Assisting with positioning, preparation of proposals, budgets, and marketing materials, working closely with appropriate practice, pursuit and marketing teams.
* Experience in design roles and management of both soft ground and rock tunnels with design experience including experience with numerical modelling applications.
* Working on a variety of trenchless and tunnel projects of all sizes spanning from water, transportation, oil & gas, and other sectors.
* Preparation and review of tunneling and trenchless design reports and geotechnical reports, specifications, contract documents, and related materials.
* Assist in developing field geotechnical investigation programs.
* Characterization of geotechnical/geologic properties and subsurface conditions relevant to tunnel and trenchless projects as well as conventional geotechnical projects such as slope stability, foundation interaction, and other considerations.
* Evaluation of appropriate tunneling technologies such as EPB and Slurry TBMs, various rock TBMs, sequential excavation, road header, drill and blast, and other methods as may be appropriate.
* Evaluation of appropriate trenchless technologies where indicated for a project.
* Selection and review of laboratory testing data in rock and soil.
* Preparation of calculations, including shoring, lining design, initial support, casing thickness, and other relevant assessments.
* Mentoring, coaching and training of other professionals.
* Interest in promotion of the Stantec brand through participation in conferences, workshops, presentations, interviews and other industry related activities.
* Travel on an as needed basis to coordinate with project and pursuit teams, meet Clients and other relevant parties, observe project and site conditions, etc.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
* Experience in supervisory roles for planning, designing, and constructing tunnels for water, wastewater or transportation projects.
* Strong communication skills and ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
* Tunnel and trenchless design and construction observation experience.
* Possesses excellent time management skills; thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient use of time and resources.
* Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
* Thorough understanding of design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
* Well developed understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
* Expert knowledge of tunnel and trenchless means and methods, materials and industry standards.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office, as well as relevant discipline software programs. Familiarity with relevant computational modeling software will be helpful.
* Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
* Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
* Interest in developing marketing and proposal skills and presentation skills
* Ability to travel for design or construction tunnel or trenchless roles.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering. Masters degree preferred. Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 15 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Fairfax
Organization: BC-1756 Water-US Southeast
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Posting: Feb 21, 2019, 7:40:06 AM
Req ID: 1900007N
Associated topics: building, civil, construction, draft, draw, remediation, soil mechanic, structural analysis, superstructure, traffic