- Princeton University Staff
- $80,150.00 -152,260.00/year*
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL), a world-renowned fusion energy research center under contract with the U.S. Department of Energy, has the following opening. PPPL is seeking the services of a Structural Engineer with broad experience in design and operational solutions to typical problems faced in a Research Laboratory or Commercial facility of structural support, rigging and documentation of design issues. The successful candidate will possess a minimum of a BS (advanced degree preferred) with 7 to 10 years of experience working in a laboratory or facility type environment.
* Responsible for compliance to PPPL's Integrated Safety Management Process for Contractors and PPPL employees
* Capable of performing building retrofit design calculations, for example, to install new equipment on an existing structure.
* Capable of performing inspections and calculations to determine fitness for use, such as moving or rigging equipment across floors with a specified load capacity..
* Capable of performing and documenting seismic calculations for proposed or existing structures.
* Capable of performing calculations and lift plans for multiple fixed and mobile cranes. Checking calculations developed and performed by others such as contractors.
* Capable of performing structural inspections of wood, steel, concrete and other structures.
* Capable of rendering a determination concerning anchor points for fall protection.
* Serve as Subject Matter Expert on structural issues. Familiar with standards such as ASCE/SEI 31 and ASCE/SEI 41.
* Prepare Statements of Work for Facilities related projects and subcontractor work..
* Sufficiently strong knowledge of structural systems to develop, present and defend structural designs during Peer, Preliminary and Final design reviews.
* Prepare design and construction cost estimates based upon industry standards (e.g. RS MEANS)
* Manage Facility Projects, have experience dealing with customers and eliciting project requirements, working with subcontractors, resolving conflicts, and obtaining consensus among stakeholders. Possess knowledge of construction standards and typical construction techniques.
* Possess knowledge of structural building systems, building design, and maintenance of equipment.
* Have the ability to read and understand construction drawings and provide oversight to construction submittal process for various type of projects.
* Ability to work independently to complete routine tasks.
* Other work as assigned.
* Position will be a Princeton Technical Representative, responsible for ensuring contractors perform construction according to contract documents and to quality standards.
* Superior communication skills, both written and oral are essential, must be self-motivated and have a proactive approach to solving programs, excellent computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and AutoCAD. A valid driver license is required.
* Knowledge of Department of Energy, and General Service Administration (GSA) regulations or similar is desired.
* The successful candidate will possess a minimum of a BSME (advanced degree preferred) with a minimum of 7 years of experience working with structural projects.
* PE registration is required.
* Membership in professional engineering organization recommended.
* Knowledge of Revit/CAD systems a plus.
* The successful candidate should have the ability to lift 50 pounds, have the ability to work in confined spaces and from elevated platforms, scaffolding and ladders.
* Routine exposure to support- service areas including boiler plants, mechanical spaces and areas where building infrastructure and operating systems as contained both inside and outdoors. At times, the examination of these spaces requires bending, stooping, and climbing around moderate system components, use of ladders and devices to access systems and work at heights.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Associated topics: building engineer, compute, construction, development, drafter, project engineer, structural, structural engineer, structure, transportation
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...