The Heating Systems group at PPPL designs, maintains, and operates the experimental subsystems that heat plasmas in the National Spherical Torus Experiment Upgrade (NSTX-U) using high-power radio frequency (RF) systems or intense multi-MW neutral particle beams (NB), and that provide Torus Services like vacuum and fueling, bakeout, and cooling. This position provides controls engineering for electro-mechanical systems, technical field support for all Heating Group activities, qualified coverage for NSTX-U Operations, and support for projects and other engineering assignments. This position supports the Heating Engineering Section, Heating Group, Engineering Department at PPPL.
At the direction of more senior Engineering supervision this position:
* Provides Electrical Engineering, Controls, and Instrumentation of electro-mechanical systems with designs that meet requirements. Solves engineering problems by applying codes and standards using prescribed engineering procedures.
* Provides field engineering and technical support to implement installations and tests for NSTX-U subsystems including Heating NB and RF, Torus Vacuum and Fueling, Safety Systems, Bakeout, and Cooling Water Systems.
* Provides NSTX-U Operations coverage for subsystems including controls manipulation using PLCs, fiber optics, electronics, and computer interfaces.
* Performs ES&H Job Hazard Analysis, pre-job briefs, small group safety meetings, management safety walkthroughs, safety training, and other needs.
* Provides engineering and technical support for other Engineering Department projects as assigned.
* BSEE or Applied Physics with 1-2 years work experience in a technical role with some field experience preferred or Masters Degree in EE or MS in Applied Physics with some field experience preferred.
* Additional training and qualification will be required and provided by PPPL.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)