The PPG Aerospace Transparencies Group produces and marketsover 1400 different glass, plastic, and composite transparency designs andrelated products across three manufacturing facilities supporting Commercial,Military, General Aviation, and Specialty Armored markets. These are sold to aircraft OEMs, airline operatorsand end users throughout the world.
The Transparencies Design Group at PPG Aerospace providesthe designs, technical specifications, and direction for developing newproducts and materials along with input to the development of new processtechnology, improvements to existing products and process technologies.
The Design Engineer is accountable for the engineeringdesign, certification, and support of both new and existing AerospaceTransparencies products delivered to the market. The Design Engineer provides product testingand product performance evaluations to assure that products and transparencyprograms profitably meet performance expectations defined by the customer,regulatory agencies, and the Aerospace Transparencies Platform. The Design Engineer is responsible fortechnical communications within PPG, as well as to customers and to governmentregulatory agencies and authorities by means of engineering test reports,presentations, white papers, etc.
The Senior Design Engineer must possess a strong backgroundin concepts particular to aircraft design and analysis of aircraft flight loadsalong with a thorough understanding of structural mechanics and the FiniteElement Method. Will be lead designengineer on key new programs and oversee the activity of design engineers andstructures analysts in the group and review and approve test plans,certification test reports, and results of finite element analysis as theyapply to PPG transparencies products. Ahigh level of interaction with customers, sales, product support engineering,program management, manufacturing, quality assurance, and regulatory agenciesis required.
The Senior Design Engineer should remain technically awareof market and industry trends, government and international regulations,customer requirements and PPG Aerospace Transparencies manufacturing processrequirements. Technical responsibilitiesinclude providing design and program certification support to the Huntsville,Sylmar, and Ampaspace manufacturing facilities through the effective use ofengineering skills and experience in such disciplines as structural design andanalysis, electrical design, product testing, and product certification.
The Senior Design Engineer will actively participate in the New ProductIntroduction process and Technical Reviews and Management Gate Reviews and willbe a key contributor in the engineering review board (ERB) and material review board(MRB) processes.
The SeniorDesign Engineer will provide continuous improvement for the department'senvironmental, health and safety, quality and value performance to insure aninjury free work place, 100% compliance to customer satisfaction while meetingplant profitability objectives and from time to time will participate onsafety, quality and value improvement teams.
The position requires a minimum of a BS degree in Aerospace, Electrical or Mechanical engineering or in a related field of study and fifteen years of experience. Master's degree preferred.
Success Factors - Prime Success Factors (focus on results, drive change, promote teamwork, develop others, build trust & respect, and understand market & customer perspective) plus the following:
1. Safety, Health, and Environment - Assure that new product development includes attention to all safety, ergonomics, health, and environment requirements for both manufacturing and product use. Assure that all regulatory requirements for the support of new and existing products are met.
2. Quality/Customer Satisfaction- Develop and perform design analysis for new or revised products to ensure customer and regulatory agency requirements for structural integrity and service performance are satisfied. , execute and document product testing that assess product performance to requirements. Provide required technical support for the establishment of unique marketing and/or distribution programs.
3. Cost/Profitability - Using data and analysis along with input from manufacturing and product support personnel direct and coordinate the actions of AT technical resources in new product designs and design improvement activities for cost and/or performance. Provide technical support for the introduction of new products and cost reduction efforts.
4. Technical Communication - Provide the required technical documentation and data in support of new programs as well as determining and responding to product design improvement requirements for existing programs and products. Develop Technical Proposals, Qualification Test Plans, Acceptance Test Procedures, and Engineering Drawings that satisfy customer and regulatory requirements and manufacturing capabilities. Provide technical leadership to the Design and Development Team during design definition and qualification phases of a new program. Draft responses to customer technical inquiries. Provide design analysis as required to support the responsible Product Support Engineer, Launch & Development Engineer, or Manufacturing Engineer. Interface with the FAA and their Designated Engineering Representative for the resolution of technical and certification issues as required. Establish constructive relationships with customer counterparts during the development of new products or in the analysis and redesign of existing products for resolution of field service problems, service life improvements or cost reduction.
5. Personal Growth - Establish and maintain positive and effective personal and organizational relationships with Sales, Program Administration/Management, Product Support, Manufacturing and Glass Business Development Center personnel. Ensure professional growth and development in all areas of accountability through involvement in appropriate on and off the job activities.