- Partners HealthCare System
- $96,795.00 -174,640.00/year*
General Summary/Overview Statement:
The Research Engineer will be responsible for design, fabrication, testing, and validation of research instruments and devices developed by Nadkarni research group in the Wellman Center for Photomedicine. She/He will participate in teams creating novel technologies and devices for both clinical and biological applications including the design and construction of in vitro diagnostic devices, novel microscopes and endoscopes. Tasks may include electrical, mechanical, or optical design, and could include software interfaces. May lead or participate in a team of engineers, technicians, and fellows in the development of optical design, electronic board design, hardware and software design, computer aided design and fabrication. She/He will ensure that device testing is preformed and system documentation is completed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Note: The term medical equipment may be either or all of electronic, mechanical and computer-based technologies for use in clinical or research applications.
* Design, fabrication, testing, and validation of medical and research devices including optical and mechanical systems;
* Provide mechanical design of subcomponents using CAD software, conduct prototype fabrication and oversee the manufacturing of these subcomponents from internal and external machine shops;
* Assist in capital equipment purchases and preparation of budgets.
* Lead and participate in conducting experiments and testing of developed components
* Develop protocols and procedures for the use, maintenance, and testing of equipment and assist in conducting animal and clinical studies.
* Perform other related duties as required.
* Skill in management of engineering projects and/or personnel
* Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of scientist, engineers and medical doctors
* Ability to diagnose and solve technical and/or system problems of moderate complexity
* Knowledge of optical, electronic, mechanical and/or computer engineering design and applications' principles
* Computer literacy to the level of at least word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, statistics, engineering tools and programming
* Experience using CAD tools (e.g., Solidworks)
* Experience in prototyping and device fabrication
* High level of skills in technical writing
May work in research laboratory or clinical site with potential exposure to biological agents, e.g., blood-borne pathogens, hazardous electrical, e.g., high voltage, or mechanical energy. Occasional lifting of heavy objects, typically not exceeding 75 pounds/person may be requested. MGH policies governing appropriate laboratory attire will be followed including use of personal protective equipment.
BS in Engineering required
* Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in device engineering in a hospital, industry, or academic setting required.
* Experience in medical engineering desired
Associated topics: aseptic technique, clinical, cytometry, healthcare, histotechnologist, microbiology, pharmacometrics, toxicologist, transfection, trauma
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...