- Partners HealthCare System
- $123,845.00 -202,650.00/year*
General Summary/Overview Statement:
The Tearney Lab is an innovative academic group with a strong history of translating laboratory and benchtop technologies into commercial medical products. A Research Engineer with a strong background in laser system development is sought to work under the supervision of Dr. Tearney to design, develop, test, and deploy a compact laser system for medical applications in accordance to an industry standard design control process. Areas of specialization include: solid state laser physics and technology, nanosecond pulse generation, frequency doubling, Q-switching, system engineering, laser performance testing, thermal and electrical system considerations, and documentation. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, result driven, and able to work within a multidisciplinary team of technical and clinical personnel.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Interpret clinical and technical inputs to develop specifications for the laser system.
* Research, design, and develop a compact nanosecond laser system under an industry standard design control process.
* Design and implement electrical, thermal, and vibrational management solutions for the laser and associated systems.
* Design and conduct optical, thermal, environmental, and vibrational tests needed to verify the performance of the laser.
* Document system specifications, drawings, manufacturing and test procedures and results.
* Assist the integration between the laser system and other electrical, mechanical, and optical components.
* Troubleshoot and take corrective action for components and systems not meeting specifications.
* Perform other related duties as required.
* Knowledge of laser physics.
* Ability to design, construct and test laser systems.
* Knowledge of the electrical specifications, thermal management considerations, and vibration control systems necessary for laser systems.
* Ability to diagnose and solve technical and/or system problems of moderate complexity.
* Ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of program managers, scientists, engineers, clinical regulatory staff, and physicians.
* Computer literacy to the level of at least word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, statistics, engineering tools and programming.
* Skill in technical writing.
May work in research laboratory or clinical site with potential exposure to biological agents, e.g., blood-borne pathogens, hazardous electrical, e.g., high voltage, or mechanical energy. Occasional lifting of heavy objects, typically not exceeding 75 pounds/person may be requested. MGH policies governing appropriate laboratory attire will be followed including use of personal protective equipment.
BS in Physics, Optical Engineering or related technical field required.
* Minimum of 2 years of experience working with laser systems is required.
* Experience with system environmental considerations desired.
Associated topics: chip, c++, computer engineering, electronic, electronic engineering, optical, programmer, programming, python, software engineer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...