- Partners HealthCare System
- $94,360.00 -141,170.00/year*
Provides engineering services to medical and research areas including selection, acquisition and service of medical devices, project management, technical investigations of clinical incidents, clinical/technical problem-solving, device design and solution of novel system and technical problems.
May lead a project team comprised of engineers and technicians.
Educates medical and technical staff on medical technologies. Leads quality improvement activities and suggests innovative solutions to technical problems.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note: The term medical equipment may be either or all of electronic, mechanical and computer-based technologies for use in clinical or research applications. Some clinical engineers may have a concentration on technologies that are more network and IT-based.
1. With some guidance, leads a project through all stages of its lifecycle. Works with a multidisciplinary team of internal and external customers and stakeholders to identify the needs, coordinates the purchase, manages the installation, helps organize the inservice training, plans for the handoff to day-to-day operations, and documents the project. May manage a project team of other clinical engineers, BMETs, and/or team leaders.
2. Assists in capital equipment purchases and preparation of budgets. Works with clinical or research departments to design, implement, and analyze studies for new medical equipment evaluations and trials.
3. Evaluates safety and efficacy of medical devices. Investigates cost-effectiveness of alternatives to current technologies. Leads quality improvement activities regarding medical equipment.
4. Suggests and helps implement strategies for management of technology in assigned clinical areas or technologies.
5. Under supervision and guidance, investigates clinical incidents involving medical devices and prepares and files appropriate reports (with department QA and Safety Coordinator), disseminates information regarding possible hazards and implements corrective action.
6. Communicates to manufacturers about problems with medical devices; ensures appropriate response.
7. Manages, participates in, and may teach educational programs for clinical and technical staff. Helps to mentor technical staff.
8. Maintains knowledge of and advises hospital personnel of codes and regulations regarding clinical devices and support facilities.
9. Maintains a proficient level of Clinical Engineering expertise to act as a resource to the department.
10. Serves on internal and/or external hospital committees and working groups.
11. Provides on-call response to administrative, management and/or technical problems.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
* Strong skills in management of engineering projects and/or personnel.
* Ability to diagnose and solve technical and/or system problems of moderate complexity.
* Knowledge of electronic, mechanical and/or computer engineering design and applications' principles.
* High level of computer literacy and the use of word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, statistics, engineering tools and programming.
* Human relations and interpersonal skills of a level as necessary to manage an operational team in a complex environment under general direction; ability to interact and communicate with most hospital clinical personnel.
* Leadership ability.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Skill in technical writing.
* Skill in technical presentation and teaching.
* BS in Engineering. Master's preferred. Clinical Engineering certification desirable.
* Experience in clinical engineering in a hospital preferred; industry or academic setting or equivalent setting is acceptable.
Associated topics: bioengineer, design, develop, engineer, manufacturing, manufacturing engineer, mechanical, mechanical engineer, process engineer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...