Director of Research and Development (Rison)
Compensation: $121,780.00 - $121,700.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Scientific Research
Loading some great jobs for you...
Director of Research and Development (Columbia, SC)
Navatek LLC, a privately-owned defense contractor, is seeking a Director of Research and Development (R&D) to grow a new office in Columbia, SC and work on a range of exciting Department of Defense research and design challenges. The candidate will have the opportunity to help lead ground-breaking research across a diverse range of applications, including: controls for integrated power and energy systems; cyber-physical security of microgrids; and next-generation electric propulsion for marine vehicles. The candidate will also have the opportunity to help steer the systems engineering and prototyping for a range of technology demonstrators, vehicles, and autonomous systems for the Navy, Marine Corps, and Army. This position is an opportunity to join a group of talented engineers growing to fill the needs of the Department of Defense. This opportunity is located at the Columbia, South Carolina office.Job Summary:
The Director of Research and Development will have a PhD in engineering with a focus on the design, modeling, simulation and analysis of Defense systems and system of systems, and a history of managing science and engineering teams in the successful execution of Defense R&D projects. Prior experience in the following technical areas is of additional interest: distributed power and energy systems; open systems architectures; power electronics; or electric or autonomous vehicles and supporting systems (machinery, power generation, sensing, etc.). Must be willing to work on a range of projects including: basic and applied research, ships, submarines, autonomous vehicles, and electrical grids. Must be able to thrive in a research environment and effectively manage teams - identify technical gaps in the state-of-the-art and translate client needs into system or research requirements, manage a project from conceptualization through proof-of-concept, and clearly communicate results to stake holders. An understanding of naval vessels or electrical power grids a plus. Software development experience a plus. Periodic travel within the United States, including Hawaii and Washington DC, is required for project management.Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Research and development: problem identification, requirements definition, new theory development, analysis, experimentation.
- Technical leadership: Provide daily technical supervision and professional mentorship; long-term task planning; and performance feedback to engineering teams.
- Communication: Confidently represent a broad portfolio of Navatek research projects to customers across the Department of Defense. Proactively grow relationships with key stake holders, which includes university research partners and SC State and Federal representatives, to expand Navatek's business.
- Program management: Generate reports summarizing the progress of the research team. Communicate results to stakeholders in the Department of Defense via reports and presentations. Track and allocate project and personnel resources.
- Support development of new business opportunities: proposal writing, gap analysis, client relations.
- PhD in Engineering with 10+ years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering teams / project management.
- Highly motivated, self-starter who can take new ideas and execute solutions in an independent environment.
- Experience with US Navy, Army, Marine Corps, and/or Air Force programs required.
- U.S. citizenship required.
This is a full time positionPersonal Information
* First name
* Last name
* Zip code
* Phone number Attachments
* Attach your Resume Attach Dropbox Paste Attach a Cover letter Attach Dropbox Other Information
* Can you pass a mandatory drug test? Yes No * Can you pass a mandatory background check? Yes No * Can you show proof of your legal right to work in the United States? Yes No * Can you show proof of US Citizenship or Permanent Residency? Yes No How did you hear about this position? * Are you able to perform the essential functions of the position applied for, either with or without reasonable accommodation?
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...