Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Lead Engineer for our Project Engineering & Design department in Waltham, MA.
Project Engineering & Design is responsible for the design of large-scale projects allowing for the safe and reliable delivery of natural gas to customers. I&R projects include gas gate/regulator stations including associated distribution and transmission mains, large customer meter fits, flow diagrams, valve replacements, and other smaller maintenance projects.
* Provide gas engineering and design for distribution/transmission projects. The I&R team is focused on regulating facilities and large commercial/industrial metering.
* Incorporate applicable Standards, Procedures, and State/Federal statutory requirements into Gas systems designs including all safety, health and environmental standards and procedures.
* Incorporate corporate process safety procedures into the project work flow as required.
* Identify/specify special order (non-stock) required materials.
* Develop and gain approval of project scope and construction requirements.
* Identify and acquire the necessary permits, licenses, and land rights associated with the project.
* Working with the Maps and Records department to ensure that system maps and records are available, and of sufficient accuracy, to support Gas systems designs. Identify where mapping differs from as-built conditions and provide input to rectify variances.
* Assist Codes and Standards Engineers with the evaluation of company engineering design standards, to ensure alignment with regulatory requirements.
* As may be required, participate or lead inter-regional projects activities. This may require travel to our upstate and / or downstate New York service territories.
* Develop project bid specifications and assist in the procurement as necessary of either or both engineering design work to be performed by external design firms, and construction services.
* Manage external engineering design firms to ensure all work is performed in accordance with company standards, within budget and on schedule.
* Perform design quality peer reviews of other engineer's work.
* Establish and lead, as necessary, an engineering design project team to develop and manage all engineering aspects of a project, up to and including project closeout and compilation of as-built documentation.
* Implement change control procedures as necessary to track design changes instituted by engineering or field operations and identify any associated risks that may result. Document any requests to deviate from approved/agreed to parameters and seek authorization where required.
* Participate in Storm restoration activities or other system emergencies (gas and electric) as called upon.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
* Able to manage and develop a team of specialists to provide expert input.
* ABET accredited Bachelor of Science Degree in an Engineering discipline is required. 6-10 years of engineering experience preferred.
* PE required, or EIT with the ability to attain PE in less than 3 years.
* Understanding of design and construction standards, engineering drawings, and underground construction methods and procedures.
* Technical knowledge of natural gas system design and operations including natural gas industry codes and regulations, engineering and environmental codes and standards.
* Strong knowledge of OSHA, PHMSA, and MA/RI regulations.
* Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects within budget and time constraints.
* Ability to assess project scopes and identify required variances prior to design to ensure a complete, high quality and safe project outcome.
* Demonstration of a high level of personal initiative and ability to interact with a diverse group of company personnel, contractors, regulatory representatives, and town/city officials in a positive collaborative manner.
* Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively both internally and externally.
* Proficiency with PC software applications including the Microsoft Office suite. Familiarity with work management applications such as SAP, Maximo and Power Plant is a plus.
* Valid driver's license required with a safe driving history that meets National Grid's Safe Driver policy.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Associated topics: chemical engineer, circuit, developer, electrical, electronics, engineering, plc, software, software implementation, wiring
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...