- Johnson Matthey
- $96,150.00 -135,490.00/year*
415 Old Tappan Rd
Johnson Matthey PLC are recruiting an experienced project engineer to develop early front end engineering of capital projects in the Efficient Natural Resources Sector and to assist their delivery through to final handover and operation.
The Efficient Natural Resources sector has a highly diverse and globally distributed operating network of sites and a portfolio of around 800 projects of various scopes and sizes up to and including 80m capex. These projects vary in scope from highly profitable business improvement projects to those mandated for process safety and environmental compliance reasons. Projects to be allocated to this role will be prioritised centrally at Sector level and therefore of major strategic importance to the Sector and Johnson Matthey Group. Therefore, the job (and its results) will be highly visible to senior corporate executives and management.
The selected candidate will be expected to visit regionally (or globally) distributed operating locations in order rapidly to establish effective working relationships with key site personnel, quickly understand the details of the challenge or opportunity and synthesise a cost effective and executable project scope, with associated estimate of cost at 30% level, schedule and required resourcing. The incumbent will be expected to work closely with a senior process engineer so that the combined deliverables will be suitable for progression through a project stage gate at 30% cost estimation level and then be accountable for the successful transition through the appropriate stage gate and a successful handover to a nominated project manager for final estimation at 10% level, project delivery and handover.
Depending on the project challenge, it may be required for the incumbent to continue in a support role for the rest of the duration of the project.
The successful candidate will report to the Project Engineering Manager in the Operational Excellence Projects Group in the Efficient Natural Resources sector.
- Gain a quick overview of a required project dimensions and challenge level, visit the operating locations to collect input from various site stakeholders and synthesise a cohesive, credible, cost effective and executable project scope, with associated cost estimate (to 30%), schedule, contracting strategy, milestones, resourcing and execution plan.
- Involve Johnson Matthey and external specialist or supplier expertise as required to deliver the project to the required stage gate and achieve successful stage gate transition at the 30% estimate level.
- Manage stakeholders at site, sector and corporate levels to ensure effective communications and support from required staff, suppliers and executives.
- Ensure project compliance with JM Group EHS Policy, site, local and national regulatory standards.
- Enable a successful handover to the next phase project manager (where required) and support the project through the next phases, as needed.
- Develop and maintain longer term positive relationships with Sector staff at all levels at the various locations.
- Pro-actively use the risk management process and tools to ensure that project risks are identified comprehensively and mitigated appropriately.
- Coordinate regular reporting from external and internal project team members to ensure consistency and the right management information to enable timely interventions when required.
- To take on any other duties which are within the employee s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- At least 5-10 years experience as a Project Manager, Project Engineer, Project Controls Engineer or in a process or discipline engineering role at an operating location in the process industries.
- Sound understanding and experience of implementation of bodies of knowledge such as the APM, PMI or Prince2.
- Ability to shape a project scope, execution and contracting strategy for all phases of a capital project and communicate them effectively.
- Experience of designing or operating flammable hazard processes.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and assessing technical risk.
- Knowledge of engineering standards and best practices.
- Mobility (the incumbent can be expected to spend 25-30%) of their time travelling within the region or (by exception) globally.
- High level understanding of deliverables and interfaces between engineering, contracts and procurement, construction and commissioning.
- A track record of leading technical teams, including contractors and suppliers.
- Ability to operate creatively and effectively at the project initiation stage (where the scope is not fully defined) and steer the technical work programme and decision-making process.
- Ability to gain the trust and co-operation of busy operations and maintenance staff at various locations and extract key information to enable the rapid development of a cost effective and executable capital project scope.
- Strong self-sufficiency, personal initiative, and a problem-solving mentality combined with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, planning and time management.
- Ability to share information pro-actively and persuasively to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Proficiency in use of standard Microsoft IT Suite.
- Strong health and safety awareness.
- Oil and gas, chemicals, mining and metals or pharmaceuticals.
- UK or EU legal frameworks as related to personal and process safety.
- Membership of APM, PMI, Prince2 or similar project management institutions with associated accreditation.
Associated topics: business, cost efficient, industrial engineer, manufacturing engineer, methods engineer, project, sap, supply, supply chain
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...