Job Location: Stuarts Draft, VA
The Hershey Company Stuarts Draft plant is a Non-Union plant producing products such as Reese's Pieces, Reese Cups, Reese Shapes, Mounds, Almond Joy, NutRageous, Oh Henry, FastBreak, Whatchamacallit, Cookie Layer Crunch, Baking Chips, etc. in a high-speed complex environment.
The Packaging Equipment/Project Engineer is a key position in the site's Engineering team. This role is responsible for investigating, proposing and implementing improvements in packaging equipment to reduce waste, changeover time and improve overall equipment reliability, availability and flexibility.
The Packaging Engineer verifies the capability of existing equipment to run new packaging, makes recommendations as well as implement changes required to accommodate new packaging materials.
The Packaging Engineer also leads and manages capital projects in the area of packaging equipment as well as other areas and equipment in the facility as necessary.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
* Appropriate combination of knowledge and/or experience in the design of packaging systems including
* A basic understanding of common packaging materials used in the food packaging industry
* A basic understanding and/or knowledge of high-speed flow wrapping
* A basic understanding and/or knowledge of secondary packaging such as carton and tray loading, statistical scales and bagging equipment
* A basic understanding and/or knowledge of tertiary packaging such as case packaging and palletizing
* An understanding of machine and equipment design as well as machine safety methods
* An understanding or basic knowledge of servo control technology
* The successful candidate should be a hands-on problem solver, focusing on detailed problem resolution and documentation
* The successful candidate should possess some combination of knowledge and basic experience in the design, application and maintenance of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC's), electrical and electronic industrial instrumentation, automation and process control, industrial computer systems, motor control, distributed control systems as well as other automation, electrical power, computer, and control technologies
* Possess the ability to understand and apply sound engineering solutions considering costs, schedules and operational performance
* Exhibit sound judgment, understanding and proficiency in the development of engineering solutions. Possess the ability to effectively evaluate, communicate and build consensus cross-functionality with regards to recommendations made for complex and fast-paced projects.
* Provide technical analyses, develop alternatives (cost estimates, feasibility, specifications, and interpretation of requirements) and prepare recommendations when required.
* Evaluate and participate in cross-functional processes to diagnose root cause issues and provide options for resolution.
* Possess strong oral and written communication skills
* Possess strong PC skills.
* The successful candidate must possess ability and willingness to work in a team environment as well as work with limited supervision.
* Preferred Skills include
* Experience using SAP and AutoCAD
* Experience working within the food industry, knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's)
* Understanding of hygienic design principles
* Formal project management experience
* Experience working with vendors and contractors
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
* Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical / Electrical / Mechatronics / Packaging), or related field required
* An understanding of automated packaging equipment is required
* Experience troubleshooting, maintaining, installing or modifying, and improving performance of automated high-speed packaging equipment in a manufacturing plant preferred
* Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) manufacturing experience preferred (production of food, beverages, pharmaceuticals, household goods, and/or tobacco)
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans