Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We're working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison's (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 15 million residents via SCE's 5 million customer accounts.
Position overviewThe Manager of Protection Engineering - Metro East Area is one of four area managers that report directly to the Senior Manager of Protection Engineering and provides both strategic direction and day-to-day operational leadership to a team of 6 engineers. Protection Engineering is one of the most critical organizations in SCE due to its significant technical role in preserving the safety and reliability of the SCE grid. Protection Engineering's vision is \"to be an industry-recognized leader in shaping innovative protection and control solutions that facilitate the safe, reliable and affordable operation of SCE's modernized, evolving grid\".
* Provide day-to-day operational leadership for a team of 6 engineers, which includes monitoring and forecasting the group's workload, conducting employee performance appraisals, making hiring decisions, coaching and mentoring employees, and providing work force training and development. * Develop annual performance goals and long-term strategic goals in partnership with the Protection & Automation management team. * Oversee technical requirements for the design of new capital projects, including system expansion and infrastructure replacement projects. * Oversee substation design and quality assurance of elementary drawings, logic diagrams, etc. related to protection schemes. * Oversee the development of new and revised relay setting files including coordination studies and RTDS studies to support T&D capital projects. * Support Grid Control Center (GCC) on daily system operations, including post-fault event analysis and switching sequences/procedures for in-service testing. * Support SC&M Test Technicians and Distribution Apparatus and Distribution Field Engineers related to system protection. * Represent the Metro East Protection Area on various standards teams and internal technical committees. * Collaborate with peer managers inside and outside of Protection Engineering in support of process improvement and operational excellence initiatives.
* Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering degree. * Experience with power system protection * Five years of overall experience performing or supervising in the engineering, design, planning, grid operations, or maintenance of the electric system
* Bachelor's degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) * Licensed Professional Engineer * Project Management certification * Familiarity with SCE substation design standards * Experience with protection and/or automation equipment, systems, and applications * Demonstrated experience implementing process improvements to enhance the quality and timeliness of engineering deliverables * Excellent communication, collaboration, and leadership skills
* Applicants who are identified to continue in the selection process will be invited to test via-email and are encouraged to immediately begin preparing for any tests required in this job posting - Link to Information Guides * Please reference Leadership Profile Assessment (Test 8201). Candidates who have previously passed these assessments may not need to retest again for this position.
* Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship. * This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties. * Relocation does not apply to this position. * Link to Employment / Mobility Policy
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.