Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We're working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison's (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 15 million residents via SCE's 5 million customer accounts.
This position will be an Engineer in the Distribution Engineering Coordination (DEC) group within Integrated System Planning (ISP). This candidate will work within the Staff Engineering group which is responsible for strategy implementation and integration, specifically with system planning and corporate initiatives. The successful candidate will serve as an Engineer 3 to provide leadership in the development and implementation of initiatives and support engineering with multiple tasks involved in analysis, design, engineering, and construction of distribution projects.
* Lead teams to develop detailed Distribution Engineering analysis, studies, database, and programs required to determine the need and/or requirements for company programs or initiatives. This includes but is not limited to: * Identification and planning of new circuitry and substation upgrades * Load flow studies * Distribution automation programs * Grid resiliency and modernization * Infrastructure replacement programs
* Support prioritization for new distribution projects, developing flexible short- and long-range plans to meet corporate reliability and system performance goals, and assisting in developing the capital budget targets. * Lead the development of process documentation/creation for corporate initiatives, including goal development, regulatory and compliance requirements, and internal stakeholder requirements. * Provide technical support to internal and external customers as subject matter experts for various programs and initiatives. * Lead the development, interpretation, and application of existing/new engineering standards and designs. * Provide training and guidance on programs and initiatives to Distribution Engineering and other stakeholder groups. * Maintain a safety conscious work environment by following Edison's safety protocols and safe work practices in addition to providing support with all other duties assigned.
* Five or more years of engineering experience. * Bachelor's Degree or Master Degree in Engineering. * Experience with utility distribution operations and/or distribution equipment.
* Three or more years of Distribution Engineering experience. * Five or more years of experience performing technical/engineering research, to perform thorough and analysis and to reach logical and defendable conclusions. * Experience analyzing and solving engineering problems and making sound decisions. * Experience in the area of power system engineering analysis including knowledge of applicable regulations, standards, codes, and analysis software such as CYME. * Ability to explain complex technical concepts to an audience with varying levels of understanding. * Experience with project management concepts and experience including planning, prioritizing, scheduling, and coordinating multiple projects. * Experience preparing detailed engineering studies and reports. * Knowledge of electrical engineering principles and practices. * Experience delivering technical presentations. * Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Visio. * Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain complex technical concepts in simple terms to both technical and non-technical personnel, including internal and external customers. * Ability to influence others and maintain positive working relationships. * Ability to resolve conflicts in manner which results in win-win solutions for all the parties involved. * Ability to stay current with relevant technology and innovation. * Strong ethics and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
* Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship. * Position may require traveling and being out in the field throughout the SCE service territory. * Relocation does not apply to this position. * This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties.
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.