- City of Boston, MA
- $92,010.00 -134,290.00/year*
This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job);
Under direction of the Boston Transportation Commissioner, performs work of considerable difficulty in managing and directing all aspects of the engineering division.
* Manages and directs all traffic and engineering functions for the department including roadway geometry, the layout, design, and construction of traffic control devices, the installation of parking and traffic regulations, and permit issuance and traffic management related to the use of city streets.
* Manages and directs a staff of employees.
* Serves on the Boston Transportation Department's (BTD) senior staff.
* Recommends transportation and traffic engineering programs.
* Helps secure funding and oversee studies.
* Maintains liaison with municipal, state, and federal entities on traffic and transportation matters.
* Meets with and addresses constituent service requests.
* Develops and oversees public participation processes related to the division's work.
* Performs related work as required.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications
* Applicants must have at least (A) ten (10) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in traffic engineering work, and (B) of which at least six (6) years must have been in a professional capacity, and (C) of which four (4) years must have been in a supervisory capacity, or (D) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
* A bachelor's degree or higher with a major in traffic or civil engineering may be substituted for a maximum of two (2) years of the required (A) experience. A graduate degree with a major in traffic or civil engineering may be substituted for a maximum of three (3) years of the required (A) experience and (1) year of the required (B) experience. Education toward a degree will be pro-rated on the basis of degree requirements completed.
* Demonstrated knowledge of the MUTCD and current transportation technologies and traffic modeling and forecasting methods.
* Ability to develop, articulate, and build support for transportation policy priorities.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public.
* Ability to exercise sound independent judgment in planning, directing, and coordinating projects.
* Ability to exercise good judgement and focus on detail as required by the job.
Massachusetts Registered Professional Engineer.
Must have and maintain a current Massachusetts driver's license.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: EXM/MM2-12
Hours per week: 35
Associated topics: architectural, build, electrical, engineering, environmental engineer, mechanical engineer, petrochemical, petroleum, revit, sensing
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...