- City of Boston, MA
- $92,010.00 -134,290.00/year*
This is a provisional appointment.
Brief job description (essential functions of the position):
Under direction, the Senior Civil Engineer is responsible for professional civil engineering work of substantial difficulty and responsibility.
* Supervises construction being performed under contract, for repairs, reconstruction, or building of new highways and sidewalks, and related facilities in the City of Boston.
* Lays out and inspects work preformed by departmental employees, including the patching and repairing of streets and sidewalks; makes studies and surveys, figures sizes and makes selection of sites, and draws up proposals.
* Approves contract estimates of cost for payment and separation of costs.
* Supervises the making of studies and plans for improvement of existing conditions of facilities-and recommends necessary changes.
* Consults with housing authorities, state engineers and private parties on construction problems; plans, assigns and supervises the work of chiefs of engineering survey parties.
* Determines the quantities due on final estimates by measurements, cross-sections, core borings, and laboratory analyses.
* Makes a final check on street construction work being performed under contract in order to determine the quality and quantity of materials used.
* Makes daily visits to major construction jobs to check on the progress and proper performance of the work.
* Performs work as assigned in connection with the snow plowing and snow removal activities of the Department.
* Performs related work as required.
Requires to work any emergency as directed by the Chief of Streets or designee.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications
Applicants must have (A) at least four (4) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in Civil Engineering work in such areas as construction, survey, design, structural, sanitary, drafting, or highway of which (B) at least two (2) years must have been in a professional capacity. Must be able to operate a computer, with knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel. Must possess the ability to read and interpret engineering plans for all types of construction work within the public right of way. Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
Must have and maintain a current Massachusetts driver's license.
Boston Residency Required.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/RA-19A
Hours: 35 per week
Associated topics: civil, department of transportation, draft, drainage, foundation design, microstation, remediation, road, traffic, transportation
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...