- City of Boston, MA
- $92,010.00 -134,290.00/year*
This is a provisional appointment.
BRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION (essential functions of the job):
Under direction, the Assistant Traffic Engineer performs professional traffic engineering work of substantial difficulty and importance utilizing good engineering judgment in adherence to city/state/federal standards, guidelines, and policies.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
* Conducts feasibility studies and provides recommendations on layout, design and placement of traffic control devices.
* Prepares traffic engineering reports used to identify, evaluate and correct traffic operational and safety issues, and to qualify projects for capital improvement plan funding.
* Prepares traffic engineering plans using computer assisted design and state-of-the-art traffic engineering software.
* Performs detailed design review and coordination for the implementation of engineering improvements at high-priority intersections.
* Reviews and responds to constituent requests in a timely and professional manner.
* Attends public meetings as representative of the Department and works with neighborhood groups to improve parking, traffic flow, and transportation safety throughout the City.
* Collects data and assists with the management of data collection programs.
* Performs related work as required.
Work Hours: Monday ? Friday, 9am-5pm.
Required to work all emergencies as directed by the Commissioner or designee.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications
At least three (3) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, traffic engineering experience which may have included sign & pavement marking plans, traffic & construction management plans, traffic impact studies, parking studies, traffic operations and safety analysis, pedestrian and bicycle facility projects, complete streets design projects or intersection design projects.
A bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering is preferred and may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience. Engineer in Training (EIT) certificate preferred.
Working knowledge of the MUTCD, HCM, AASHTO, and Complete Streets guidelines as well as proficiency with Synchro, SimTraffic, and AutoCAD software packages highly preferred.
Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
Must have and maintain a current Massachusetts driver's license.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: AFSCME/RA-18A
Hours per week: 35
Associated topics: airport, bicyclist, chauffeur, collections, logistics transportation, procure, supply chain, traffic, transportation, van
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...