This position is responsible for design engineering of drum brakes, including new products and product enhancements. The ideal candidate has drum brake design experience, and has demonstrated success in completing design & analysis tasks and improving the state of the art in a mechanical engineering design environment. The candidate is versed in PLM, CAD, GD&T, FEA, CAE, APQP, DFMEA.
- Apply engineering knowledge in the design, analysis, launch, and improvement of drum brake components to achieve cost effective design solutions.
- Apply PLM expertise to create bills-of-materials, manage document control, maintain & upgrade database integrity, and release change requests.
- Create, revise, and check 3-D CAD models and associated drawings.
- Apply geometric dimensioning & tolerance (GD&T) to drawings, and perform tolerance stack-up calculations.
- Validate the design of new products or product enhancements by completing various analyses, such as stress/fatigue analysis, dynamic simulation, fastener calculations, and design for manufacturing & assembly.
- Coordinates major project design efforts and work with vendors, customers and development functions as a significant part of the Engineering team.
- Assist with problem solving analysis.
- Participate in reviewing DFMEA, DVP&R and other related engineering documents.
- Provide input to improve engineering processes.
- Contribute within a global cross-functional team environment, working with engineers, technicians, manufacturing plants, suppliers, and customers.
- Identify & implement improvements to advance the design process, which may include work flow, hardware/software selection, simulation techniques, and training.
- Act as Key User in Kalamazoo, helping locally with CAD/Teamcenter problems and performing testing when a CAD/Teamcenter update is planned.
- Ability to assimilate data quickly and drive engineering decisions.
- Capable of prioritizing time/resources/goals and leading with sense of urgency.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and a positive/proactive work ethic.
- Proficiency in CAD modeling & drawing with CREO is required.
- Product lifecycle management with Teamcenter Unified Architecture or similar PLM/PDM system.
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack-ups using ASME Y14.5M-1994.
- Design Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (DFMEA) using AIAG methodology.
- Manufacturing processes for stamping heavy material.
- Finite element analysis (FEA) for stress and heat transfer, material fatigue analysis, dynamic simulation (e.g. Matlab, GT Power), and calculations of bolted joints, bearings, springs, seals/gaskets.
- 1-3 years related design engineering experience
- Experience in related industry preferred, e.g. automotive, commercial vehicle, braking system.
- Bachelors degree in engineering required (mechanical preferred)
- Additional certifications a plus, such as Six-Sigma Green Belt , GD&T Certification, Professional Engineer.
What does Bendix have to offer you?
- Work/life balance that includes Paid Vacation & Holiday Paid Time Off
- 401k Plan with Company matching
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Reimbursement)
- Wellness Program and incentives
- On-Site Cafeteria with Healthy menu options
- Health and Welfare Insurance Benefits that start on your 1st day of employment:
- Company-Paid Benefits:
- Basic Life Insurance
- Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Voluntary Employee-Paid Benefits:
- Medical and Prescription insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
- Supplemental AD&D insurance for Employee and Family
- Long Term Disability
- Accident Plan
- Critical Illness Plan
- Hospital Indemnity Plan