- $116,070.00 -174,640.00/year*
The Principal Engineering Manager is a critical role within the Offshore Renewables Business, focusing on the delivery of large-scale offshore wind projects in the US.
Belonging to the Project Services team and reporting to the Head of Engineering Management+, the Principal Engineering Manager will be responsible for defining and implementing project wide robust and cost effective engineering strategies, including wind resource, metocean, geotechnical, and electrical design functions; as well as managing interfaces and the certification process. The role will include the management of multiple offshore contractors and associated interfaces, defining company and business engineering standards and technical acceptance criteria, and ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied to all phases of the project.
The individual will be working as part of a global business with activities in the US. Responsibilities
- Principal Engineering Manager for an Avangrid / Iberdrola offshore renewable project providing key strategic engineering advice, assessment and recommendations to the offshore project in support of a 6 GW offshore wind pipeline to ensure delivery of the business strategic investment plan within time, to budget and quality following the highest industry practice and observing the maximum respect for Health, Safety and the Environment to ensure regulatory and legal compliance.
- Accountable for overseeing project design activities completed by the project to ensure compliance with company design management procedures.
- Responsible for the management of interfaces (and/or appointing an Interface Manager) to ensure that interface risks are identified, captured and recorded in the project risk register and addressed appropriately in design and contract arrangements.
- Setting and managing the certification strategy (and/or appointing a Certification Manager) and lead the management of the certification process with independent verification bodies (where applicable) to reduce design risk and enhance asset value.
- Ensure opportunities for optimization and standardization are investigated, evaluated and implemented to ensure best value for the project and offshore business whilst ensuring that the risk profile is fully understood.
- Coordinating transversal activities and be accountable for resolving issues affecting multiple projects or other Iberdrola projects to ensure engineering best value for the business.
Skills and Requirements
- Accountable for ensuring that all assessment, advice and recommendations are fully documented in accordance with all internal procedures and industry best practice, and that sufficient technical and commercial due diligence (whether internal or external) exists to support those business decisions.
- Provide professional leadership and direction to the Engineering Management team(s), potentially comprising employees working within a number of countries throughout Europe and the USA, to ensure professional standards are maintained (or enhanced) and the team(s) deliver a consistent, high quality, cost effective service to the project and wider business.
- Define, implement and resource the appropriate engineering organization to ensure delivery of the project to program and budget.
- Ensure that health and safety and environmental requirements are fully considered and adhered to in engineering design to ensure compliance with legislation and industry best practice.
- Develop and maintain the strategic plan for the inspection and commissioning of appropriate aspects of all offshore plant to ensure that assets are supplied and installed to the required quality and engineering standards.
- Responsible for identifying and ensuring compliance with the appropriate internal business and offshore industry standards, procedures, tools, best practices and quality requirements appropriate for large scale offshore windfarm projects, to be constructed across a number of countries throughout Europe and the USA to ensure that the projects are delivered according to specification, budget and program without compromising safety.
- Acting as a key member of the Project Management Committee, together with the Project Director and Project Leads, where key project and strategic decisions (Technical and Commercial) are considered and approved to secure investment best value.
- Accountable for ensuring that all lessons learnt regarding offshore wind farm development and construction are captured and shared across the different Offshore Projects. Establish the right mechanisms for this process and ensure that the engineering managers and project implement them to enhance business value.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant engineering discipline (mechanical, electrical, civil or structural) with a higher level degree preferred (MSc or PhD).
- Significant and extensive experience designing and working in the offshore wind industry.
- Significant experience and proven ability in leading teams involved in large multidisciplinary projects in international environments.
- Extensive experience in dealing with health and safety and environmental legislation associated with construction, marine and offshore projects.
- High degree of competency in future planning.
- Proven experience in delivery of multi-million projects, including contract management, program management, cost and risk control.
- Proactive People Manager, leader and motivator of highly skilled teams..
- Excellent relationship management skills and confidence working with Project Directors and Senior Management.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to influence and develop key project and business decisions.
- Excellent report writing, presentation skills and ability to summarize key parameters and drivers impacting the project and business.
- Ability to work, manage teams and manage decision making processes under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent planning and analysis skills with the ability to look forward and see / anticipate problems and thereafter plan and implements mitigating solutions to negate the effect of such problems.
- Proven innovator and creative thinker.
- Outstanding problem solver with proven ability in balancing and optimizing conflicting requirements.
- Tenacity, persistence and determination to succeed in overcoming obstacles.
- High capacity for change and experience of leading others through change.
- Proven experience of contributing to early development projects (large projects), giving advice to development teams on conceptual engineering solutions, build ability / delivery issues.
- Ability to forecast staff requirements to ensure delivery of projects over a 4 5 year period.
- Liaise with Project Directors across the business to ensure all engineering aspects are appropriately considered during the project development and pre-FID phase.
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other IT based project management software.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Flexible to travel around the USA and overseas to Europe.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a medical Fit for Duty exam (only if applicable to job requirements), background check, references, drug screen, verification of legal right to work in the U.S., and in some cases, a credit check. A credit check will be administered when a prospective employee will be working in Finance, Accounting, Treasury or where duties may involve handling of funds, accounts or cash. A Motor Vehicle (MVR) check will be administered when a prospective employee will be regularly using a company vehicle.
Avangrid Renewables is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status or class protected by federal or state law.
AVANGRID s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-###-#### or [Click Here to Email Your Resum ]
Associated topics: building, civil, civil engineer, engineer, fluid mechanic, leak, mechanical, pipe, pipeline, sheetmetal
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...