Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you'll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
* Give structure to facades concepts / ideas - sketching, reports, sketchbooks, spreadsheets and analyses for discussion with Architects and clients
* Engage teams of architects and engineers focused on the 3D modeling (geometrical and detailing) of complex facades;
* Carry out structural, thermal and energy modeling of building enclosure details and systems;
* Utilize advanced analysis programs and techniques (CFD, finite element and microclimate) to understand building envelope physics and fa?ade design;
* Undertake engineering fa?ade calculations with various materials, including structural glass, aluminum, stainless steel, wood, stone and precast concrete
* Produce details and drawings using various 2D and 3D CAD and graphics packages;
* Perform technical reviews of shop drawings and construction administration submittals to ensure air, water, thermal, seismic, acoustic and structural performance
* Interpret specifications and design documents and write reports summarizing conditions
* Carry out mock-up, factory and field inspections and investigations
* Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Architecture or related Science discipline
* 3.2 GPA or higher
* Core interest in the fa?ade industry with emphasis on detailing and engineering
* Good communication skills essential for team-based working
* Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
* Good sketching skills and an ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
* Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment
* Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
* Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
* Master's or PhD degree with emphasis on architecture and engineering
* Coursework in fa?ade engineering / building envelope physics / energy/thermal modeling skills
* Structural software skills, AutoCad skills, 3D modeling skills (Rhino, SketchUp, etc.)
* Internship experience with a design firm
* FE/EIT certification
* Membership in ASHRAE, ASME, ASCE or Society of Fa?ade Engineering
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
* Second Avenue Subway
* Fulton Street Transit Center
* JetBlue Airway's Terminal 5 at JFK Airport
* Renovation of Lincoln Center
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Associated topics: architect, architectural, architecture, building, construction, drafter, structural engineer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...