Angelo State University is seeking a dynamic and energetic mechanical engineering Associate Department Chair to join our team in the growing David L. Hirschfeld Department of Engineering. Angelo State is a teaching-focused, Hispanic Serving Institution and member of the Texas Tech University System. The department hosts an existing program in civil engineering and is crafting our new mechanical engineering program approved to start in fall 2019.
The new mechanical engineering program will feature course offerings that build from a common core of engineering courses shared with the existing civil engineering program. Currently, the civil engineering program has 203 majors and will graduate its first class of students in December 2018. The successful candidate will play a leadership role under a Department of Education funded grant to develop a mechanical engineering curriculum which is culturally responsive to our diverse student population. We expect to seek ABET accreditation for the mechanical engineering program in 2020. The successful candidate must be able to work collaboratively to build a practice-oriented, integrated, broad-based mechanical engineering curriculum, and actively lead the ABET accreditation process.
This is a full-time tenured nine-month, Associate Professor position.Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Lead the development of a culturally responsive, integrated, practice oriented mechanical engineering curriculum.
2. Recruit mechanical engineering faculty needed for the program.
3. Manage grant, equipment and facilities budgets.
4. Teach, develop, and continuously improve courses and labs to support the curriculum.
5. Lead the assessment efforts to support curricular development and ABET accreditation.
6. Advise undergraduate students.
7. Develop a program of scholarly activities consistent with the candidates interests and university objectives.
- Knowledge of undergraduate education, coursework, and challenges, and how they fit within the broader mechanical engineering curriculum.
- Familiarity with engineering education research and ability to apply best practices.
- Knowledge of the ABET accreditation process.
- Ability to perform formative and summative assessment of student learning and apply results of assessment to improve student learning.
- Ability to create active, innovative student learning environments and effectively apply technology to improve student learning.
- Ability to create environments conducive to the academic success of women, Hispanic, and other underrepresented student groups.
- Earned doctorate in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field.
- Effective communication, teamwork, and planning skills.
- Demonstrated teaching excellence.
- A demonstrated level of teaching, scholarship, and service sufficient for appointment as a tenured associate professor at Angelo State University.
- Experience in course and curriculum development
- Experience in preparing ABET accreditation materials
- Research experience in engineering education and/or culturally relevant pedagogical practices
- Coursework or formal training in engineering education pedagogy
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) ###-#### or email us at ...@angelo.edu.