The Global Protein Sciences (GPS) Group is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join its Protein Purification Group at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA. As a member of the group, the candidate will be responsible for working in cross functional teams with other scientists in various therapeutic areas as well as the Biologics generation group in Worcester to advance the pipeline. Experience in purification of native proteins is desired. The successful candidate will have experience in protein engineering and purification of immunogens and therapeutics with a good understanding of technologies for generating proprietary biotherapeutics. Key Responsibilities Include:
- Design, express, purify and characterize soluble and membrane protein targets with enhanced expression and stability enabling functional studies and antibody discovery
- Read and apply relevant scientific literature to improving protocols.
- Effectively organize and communicate research progress through oral presentations and written documentation.
- Keep accurate, detailed and timely records of laboratory work.
- Introduce and lead innovative science enabling publication and external presentations
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- BS, MS or PhD with typically 7+ (BS), 5+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Experience with expression and purification from various host expression systems such as mammalian (HEK/CHO), insect/baculovirus and E.coli .
- Experience with AKTA FPLC systems to purify proteins.
- Experience with automated and/or high throughput purification a plus.
- Experience with protein analysis i.e. SDS-PAGE, western blot, and analytic SEC.
- Experience purifying integral membrane proteins desirable.
- Experience in construct design desirable.
- Experience in research and development of protein therapeutics a plus.
- Significant research experience as demonstrated by publications and scientific accomplishments
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary biologics groups in a fast paced discovery team setting
- Participate and effectively communicate with team members throughout the organization.
Associated topics: biochemistry, biomedical, bioprocess, biosynthetic, hereditary, medical, molecular, neurodegenerative, pain, pathogenesis