Position: Senior Cell Development Engineer
Location: Waltham, MA
The Senior Cell Development Engineer will be a key team member in an aggressive product design, development and analysis effort to produce and commercialize next-generation electrode materials, cell design and analysis techniques. The candidate is expected to have a deep theoretical and practical expertise in a variety of potential cell chemistries, including lithium iron phosphate (LFP), nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC), graphite anodes, and other materials. Duties include modeling of new cells chemistries, design and execution of cell builds, and analysis and interpretation of results vs. cell requirements. Other duties include supporting specifications, design reviews, and stage gate process in support of launching cell products.
The candidate will be expected to demonstrate competency in the laboratory, including basic analytical experimental skills and cell characterization methods. Additionally, the candidate will be expected to be able to connect application requirements with cell and material characteristics, understand how changes in design affect battery function, and design experiments to optimize performance. The candidate will be expected to have a strong quantitative background, ideally with a demonstrated history of battery modeling. Specific experience in development of lithium ion anodes, cathodes, and cells is required.
The preferred candidate will have an MS or PhD, a strong background in industry with exposure to large scale manufacturing methods, a history of innovation in applied battery research, and experience in the automotive industry.
This position will report to Manager, Cell Development.
- Design, develop, validate lithium ion cell components, electrodes, and cells to meet cell requirements
- Improve cell performance, quality, and abuse tolerance, increase the yields and reduce cost via DOE and advanced experimentation techniques
- Analyze and evaluate cell data to determine direct and interaction effects of the materials under evaluation and plan and execute root-cause analysis of failures and appropriate action incurred over course of development and launch
- Interface closely with R&D scientists to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of lithium-ion cells.
- Work with team to improve safety of cell designs, especially for the cell using oxide chemistry
- Evaluate emerging anode and cathode materials and electrolytes, electrodes and cell designs against A123 requirements for next generation product performance, safety, and cost
- Develop comprehensive cell technical specifications, support design reviews, DFMEA, APQP process
- Assist with engineering-level test builds together with quality and operations personnel in order to resolve manufacturing process issues
- Collaborate with Supplier Quality team in their communication with material suppliers, related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials, and the resolution of any quality issues
- Effectively communicate results to broader teams in the US and abroad
- Understand and adhere to program timelines
The position requires a self-starting, highly organized individual capable of identifying opportunities and following through on project goals
- Excellent analytical skills, data analysis and statistical interpretation
- Thorough understanding of electrochemical characterization e.g. ac impedance, SOH analysis, charge acceptance, cycle life, abuse testing, etc.
- Thorough understanding of failure mechanism in abuse testing for lithium ion battery
- Experience developing technical specifications for materials, components, and assemblies
- Demonstrated expertise and success in development of products for large volume production in a structured environment using DFSS or APQP methods
- Individual drive and flexibility to work in a rapidly developing entrepreneurial environment
- Resourceful, organized, with strong attention to detail and excellent interaction skills, capable of rapidly integrating observations and results into subsequent development activities
- PhD, MS, or BS (with equivalent experience) in Chemical, Materials, Electrical Engineering or related field
- At least 5 years related experienced in a cell or materials product development environment
- Demonstrated success in development of components and cell designs for lithium ion batteries
- Familiar the DFMEA process. Working experience with Quality & Reliability disciplines (APQP, 8D, etc.)
- Familiarity with Statistical Analysis and Design of Experiments (Minitab) preferred
Associated topics: assembly, chassis, fluid, mechanical engineer, mechanism, motor, proe, rotordynamic, turbomachinery, vehicle
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...